Saturday, October 25, 2014

following Abraham up the mountain...

I met for breakfast with a medical student today. She has all the anxiety I had 7 years ago but more spunk.  We spent the morning talking about Abraham offering up Isaac on the altar... Medical school being your Isaac.  It's the lesson that helped me to not go crazy in medical school, a daily surrender as I gave so much of myself to something while not making it an ultimate thing.

...and 7 years later, I'm still learning to follow Abraham up the mountain…again.  It's the same lesson but in a thousand different ways. Tim Keller described how when God saw what Abraham did, He said, "now I know that you love me because you were not willing to withhold your only son." and how we can look at our God now and say the same thing with confidence.  I know that You love me God, because you did not withhold your only begotten Son. I know that You love me.


aside:
There are a lot of what ifs in life. My friend was saying, "Jen, God does not give you grace for the What ifs'. He gives you Grace for What IS."




No comments:

Post a Comment