Saturday, January 24, 2015

Thy word I have treasured in my heart…

I heard a talk today about the problem of having more responsibilities than you are competent to carry.

I've been feeling like this lately. this lecture where people are paying money to come and hear. I am no ethicist and have so little qualifications to give it. Being faculty at this program with residents who are smarter than me. I am teaching them and have so much to learn still. Thoughts of going overseas to teach and disciple when my life is a far cry from being the model of what I know it should be.  Going to Iraq in just a few weeks but not sure that I have anything to offer these people who know more about suffering than my entire life can even touch the fringes of. Dealing with my own selfishness, disobedience, lack of self-control and the other sin battles that will not stop the guerrilla warfare on my soul. Then I heard the familiar voice of the liar, who speaks condemnation to me. And anxiously I cried out to Lord and asked Him for a Word of truth.

and this I recalled to mind. an small passage I had memorized many years back:

"Such confidence we have through Christ toward God. Not that we are adequate in ourselves to consider anything as coming from ourselves but our adequacy is from God, who also has made us adequate as servants of a new covenant."

Then quietness.  His voice was sure.  And meanwhile a sweet reminder for me of the power of scripture memorization and the need for more of it in my life. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks!!
    I needed to hear this today.
    Maybe this will likewise strengthen ur heart...

    "Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." 2Cor12:8-9

    ReplyDelete