Saturday, October 6, 2018

Can I still go to Heaven ?



She was a new patient to me and just came in for a refill of her birth control. I asked her about her medical history and she stated she was healthy without any problems, typical for a 19 year old. Well.. except she was having irregular cycles since she had an abortion last year. 
Me: “Oh, Im sorry to hear that” I said. “How are you doing since then?”  She said she was doing ok, without any apparent emotions. 
“How far along were you?” I asked 
Her: “about 13 weeks.” she began to tear up, “I didn't know how far along I was at the time. I looked up a picture of a 13 week baby on google and if I had known what it looked like, I would have kept the baby.”
I was quiet for a little bit and mentioned that we all have regrets and things we would have done differently if we were to go back and do it again. We talked a little more about the details and her life. It came out that she grew up Baptist. 
Then, she said, “Im not sure if I can go to heaven anymore” 
Me “ What did you learn about Heaven and forgiveness growing up”
Her: “Well, I guess that God is supposed to forgive me, but I don't know”
Me: “Well, the Bible says that God can forgive us, not because we are good or do the right things, but because of what Jesus did for us.  Do you know what he did for you?” 

I was able to explain to her the good news of the gospel and why Christ had to die for sinners like us. I was amazed at the look she had on her face, wide eyed and genuinely interested. She told me that no one had ever explained it like that before. I asked her about the 2 types of lives people choose to live (one where Christ is received as savior and King and one where Christ was not the Savior or King. She felt like she was somewhere in the middle but wanted Christ to be the King. She felt like she needed to talk about it with her boyfriend first though so I showed her what to if she ever wanted to make that decision on her own. 

One of her questions before she left. 
“How often of you pray? How often am I supposed to pray?”
We had a sweet shot conversation about prayer and that it is just talking to God like a friend. He wants to hear from us and loves hear and answer.  Then, we prayed.  She gave me a hug. 

thank you, Jesus. 

occurred on 10/5/18

No comments:

Post a Comment