Friday, February 10, 2012

Feb 7, 2012

“Apinun!”

I’m thankful to be able to work with a long time missionary and graduate from Image, Dr Bill McCoy.  He prays with his patients in clinic and today shared the gospel with a man who likely had liver cancer. Unlike in the states, there will be no cancer treatment or chance for liver transplant for this man.  But what Dr McCoy offered him was worth still more than that.

I’ve been rounding on the pediatric wards in the morning, then going to clinic in the afternoon with intermittent calls to the ER.  I learned to cast a bit, saw likely ITP in a little girl with bleeding from her gums, lots of osteomyelitis, and a three year old in clinic with a hemoglobin of 3.9! Today another lady stopped breathing and after prolonged attempts at resuscitation, she was gone. She had a history of 3rd degree heart block after delivering a baby only 3 days ago. Perhaps if we were in the States with a defibrillator she would have lived and her newborn would not be left motherless.

Feb 9th
Today after rounding on the pediatric ward and clinic I had the chance to go to a weekly missionary prayer meeting. It was neat to see their dependency on the Lord and how they also pray for the co-ministries with the hospital which includes a Bible college that trains pastors. It was a sweet time of prayer, fellowship, and worship. In addition, I was encouraged at how they pray for the missionaries on furlough, knowing that even going on furlough is a ministry rather than a vacation.

Feb 10th
Today I am on call overnight in the hospital (from home). Already we have a 4 year old with a small bowel obstruction from pigbel, and a lady who I got to inform was 17 weeks pregnant. Lot's of TB here (often presents with ascites!). I won't be surprised if I convert when I get back, and I'd appreciate prayer that God protects me from getting infected.

The patients appreciate being prayed for. Please pray that God gives me opportunity and boldness and sensitivity to share the gospel .  Lately in the evenings I’ve been reading a wonderful book called “A cross centered life” by CJ Maheny. It has so encouraged me.  I will try to update when I can. Internet is sporadic and this is only the 2nd time I’ve beem able to get online since being here. Take care friends!

1 comment:

  1. such was the life of PNG--work, have evenings off (except when you're on call), and lots of time to read and appreciate nature and (sort of) quiet, and to be with fellow missionaries. Definitely different than life in the U.S.!?

    ReplyDelete